Intermediate Electronics Engineer
Dawn Aerospace is looking for skilled and motivated engineers to design electronic systems for flight. Our team is after individuals with first-principles understanding of electronics, and are deeply engaged with the systems that they have worked on. Make no mistake, this role does not require you to have previous experience in the aerospace industry. Whether your background is in automotive, consumer electronics, robotics, medical…if you want to contribute to scalable, sustainable space transportation, we want to hear from you!
What you will do:
- Design circuit boards for a breadth of applications, including digital, analogue, mixed signal, and power electronic systems
- Translate engineering requirements and specifications into high quality, well-tested, electronic systems
- Production of flight hardware, prototype development, validation, and selection of vendors and production methods
- Work alongside engineers from a variety of disciplines
- Coordination with component suppliers
- Clearly document and present designs at various stages of completion
- This role may require travel domestically and internationally
What we would love you to have:
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or similar, or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- 2+ years relevant experience in an electronics or embedded systems environment
- Proficiency in designing schematics and routing PCBs in EDA, such as Altium, Cadence or KiCad
- A first-principles understanding of electronics fundamentals
- Experience working with digital communication busses, such as CAN, Ethernet, RS-232, RS-485, USB, SPI, and I2C
- Experience in selection and use of analogue sensors and signal conditioning circuits
- Experience with testing, troubleshooting and debugging electronic hardware
- Proven oral and written communication skills (English)
It would be great if you also had:
- Experience with version management systems such as Git
- Wide range of hands-on skills from PCB assembly to wire harness/cable tree construction to automotive/aerospace standards
- Experience writing embedded software in C, C++, Rust or Python
- Experience with design of high reliability electronics (e.g. DO-254, ECSS, NASA)
- Basic understanding of mechanical design fundamentals
You must have the ability and desire to work in a young company. If you want a smooth and routine role, this is not for you. We believe in giving you the tools you need, then getting out of your way.
Initially, this role will predominantly involve core engineering. In future, there is the opportunity for the right candidate to grow into a programme, product and/or department leadership position.
We are looking for candidates who can take initiative, work with minimal direction and collaborate to solve complex and novel problems.
Important! If you think you have what it takes but are unsure that you check every box, we still want to hear from you.
About Dawn Aerospace
Every week we see new companies coming to market, using space-based technology in new and exciting ways we had never before imagined. Our industry is at the same inflexion point the internet was back when we went from dial-up to broadband, but there are some significant hurdles to overcome.
Dawn Aerospace was founded to redefine near-space transportation. Redefine how we deliver assets to space, position satellites on orbit and return things down to Earth to enable the vibrant and circular space economy of the future. To do this, we build scalable, accessible and sustainable spaceflight technologies – technologies that are sustainable for not just the foreseeable future, but the unforeseeable future.
Winner of Emerging Business of the Year and Innovative Hardware at the 2023 NZ Hi-Tech Awards.
Dawn Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Dawn is decided based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any other manner.
Dawn Aerospace is an Accredited Employer with Immigration New Zealand.