Senior Electronics Engineer
Dawn Aerospace is looking for a skilled and motivated person to undertake electrical engineering responsibilities for aircraft flight systems. The individual will be working closely with all aircraft sub-teams to design and implement electrical solutions from high level requirements, all the while contributing to our goal of achieving scalable, accessible and sustainable spaceflight.
What you will do:
- Translate engineering requirements and specifications into high quality, well-tested, electronic systems
- End-to-end ownership of electronical systems – from specification through design, prototype, validation, and manufacturing
- Design circuit boards for a breath of applications, including digital, analog, mixed signal, and power electronic systems
- Design quality and robust embedded software for microcontrollers and flight computers
- Work alongside engineers from a variety of disciplines
- Coordination with component suppliers
- Clearly document and present designs at various stages of completion
- This role may require travel domestically and internationally
What we would love you to have:
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or similar, or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- 2-5 years relevant experience
- Proficiency in designing schematics and layouting PCBs in EDA, such as Altium, Cadence or KiCad.
- Experience writing embedded software in C or Rust
- Experience working with digital communication busses, such as CAN, Ethernet, RS-232, RS-485, USB, SPI, and I2C
- Experience in circuit simulation with SPICE
- Experience with Python and Git
- Experience in selection and use of analog sensors and signal conditioning circuits
- Experience with PCB design, working with EDA and high speed layouting
- Experience with design for EMC
- Experience with testing, troubleshooting and debugging electronic hardware
- Proficiency with basic electrical laboratory equipment, including oscilloscopes and vector network analysers
- Knowledge of systems engineering
- Ability to work in a highly cross functional role
- Proven oral and written communication skills (English)
It would be great if you also had...
- Wide range of hands-on skills from PCB assembly to wire harness/cable tree construction to automotive/aerospace standards
- Experience with design of high reliability electronics (e.g. DO-254, ECSS, NASA)
- Experience with design for space
- Wide experience from microcontrollers to x86s, and from PLDs to FPGAs.
- Experience with RF systems
- Basic understanding of mechanical design fundamentals
You must have the ability and desire to work in a young company. If you want a smooth and routine role, this is not for you. We believe in giving you the tools you need, then getting out of your way.
Initially, this role will predominantly involve core engineering. In future, there is the opportunity for the right candidate to grow into a programme, product and/or department leadership position.
We are looking for candidates who can take initiative and work with minimal direction.
Important! If you think you have what it takes but are unsure that you check every box, we still want to hear from you.
About Dawn Aerospace
We are a purpose-driven company focused on delivering real solutions to current problems while building in the key ingredients of long-term success - reusability and sustainability. Our long-term vision shapes how we act, build teams, and treat each other. With the long term always in mind, we make decisions that benefit us all.
We are developing vehicles to provide responsive, reusable, and low-cost space flight. The current single/low-use rockets for small satellite launches are expensive and infrequently available, and we believe that our vehicles will fundamentally change that.
As a leading provider of green propulsion systems for CubeSat, ESPA, and ESPA Grande-class satellites, we possess space-heritage and an understanding of how to achieve challenging engineering – one step at a time.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Dawn is decided based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any other manner.
Dawn Aerospace is an Accredited Employer with Immigration New Zealand.
Something looks off?