Mobile Engineer (Android)
Mobile Engineer (Android)
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a real difference in your next role?
At Basis, our purpose is to radically accelerate the clean-energy revolution - starting with smarter, safer, and more efficient homes. We’re focused on improving experiences for people through the application of technology, data, and a deep understanding of human behaviour.
Why? As a society, we need to decarbonise and accelerate the transition to alternative energy sources. Existing solutions are expensive and disparate, with limited functionality.
Basis is driven by purpose, real innovation, and ambition. We have a talented team spread across New Zealand, with a creative space by the beach in Takapuna, and a Design Lab in Christchurch where our physical products come to life.
We recently closed our Series A capital raise, so we're well-funded and ready to grow. Our team is smart, curious and has some big goals - so if you’re interested in joining a fast-growing and startup that is design-led and puts people at its core, then we’d love to hear from you!
We're also currently in stealth mode, so check out our website and we'll share more with you during the recruitment process 😁
This role aims to build Basis’s mobile capabilities and launch our digital experiences to market. The role focuses on designing and developing complex mobile applications and a solid technical understanding of current mobile technologies and concepts to enable knowledge-sharing across our Software Engineering department.
You will be working closely with the product and design team to define and develop the product's features and create wonderful UI experiences. You will also work closely with the QA engineers for testing and deployments. Our Mobile Engineer will also be involved in maintaining and improving the apps CI/CD pipeline and automating the apps deployment and publication process.
Some of the things that you might be involved in include:
- Software Development: Deliver high levels of software development with a full understanding of the typical SDLC involved in professional software development.
- Development & Design: Create complex mobile solutions leveraging a strong technical understanding of current mobile technologies and concepts in order to make independent and informed decisions for Basis projects.
- Research & Discovery: Work closely with Product and Design to define and develop product features.
- Maintain & Improve: Constantly contribute to and improve the app CI/CD pipeline. Work closely with QA Engineers for testing and deployment.
- Mentoring & Peer-Review: Enable knowledge-sharing across our Software Engineering department, and contribute to the development of Osho’s mobile development capabilities.
You know that great products are a combination of design, code and a dash of love. We value UI and design as highly as we do core 'to the metal' coding - we believe that one needs the other to create wonder in people’s lives, and that's exactly what we do.
We think you’ll be a fit for this role if have the following skills or experience:
- 4+ years of software engineering experience
- Proficiency in mobile development (Android required, iOS a plus)
- Proficiency with Kotlin and Jetpack Compose
- In-depth knowledge of the apps release cycle
- Communication skills for a highly collaborative software development process
- Experience with Source control such as Git
- Have a personal commitment to continuously learn and improve
- You know that cutting corners isn't cutting edge
- You have a passion for the latest tech, framework
Research shows that while men apply for jobs when they meet ~ 60% of the job criteria, women and other marginalised groups tend to apply only when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but are not sure you check every box, we still want to hear from you 🙌
- A competitive salary and employee share scheme (ESOP)
- A remote-first culture - work from home or come into the office, it's totally up to you
- Unlimited annual leave so that you can take the time that you need to re-energise
- Tools of trade, including laptop and headphones, and we also pay your phone bill!
- Flexible hours - we focus on effort and outcomes, so adjust your hours around your children, hobbies, or other commitments
- A schedule of fun team events throughout the year (ziplining, knife throwing, lawn games, what's next?)
- Office dogs
- Access to Clearhead, our well-being programme which gives you 5x free sessions with a psychologist per year
- A $200 one-off payment towards your home workstation
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion: Pride Committee, DEIB Committee, EEO Policy and well-being strategy!
- Parental leave policy that tops up wages to 100% for the primary caregiver for up to 22 weeks (conditions apply)
- The opportunity to learn and develop from some of the best and brightest minds in the industry!
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote