Senior Data Engineer
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a real difference in your next role?
At Basis, our purpose is to radically accelerate the clean-energy revolution - starting with smarter, safer, and more efficient homes. We’re focused on improving experiences for people through the application of technology, data, and a deep understanding of human behaviour.
Why? As a society, we need to decarbonise and accelerate the transition to alternative energy sources. Existing solutions are expensive and disparate, with limited functionality.
Basis is driven by purpose, real innovation, and ambition. We have a talented team spread across New Zealand, with a creative space by the beach in Takapuna, and a Design Lab in Christchurch where our physical products come to life. We're more than happy to take on someone who wants to work remotely from a different location across New Zealand too, or wants to relocate.
We recently closed our Series A capital raise, so we're well-funded and ready to grow. Our team is smart, curious and has some big goals - so if you’re interested in joining a fast-growing and startup that is design-led and puts people at its core, then we’d love to hear from you!
We're also currently in stealth mode, so check out our website and we'll share more with you during the recruitment process 😁
We are on the lookout for a creative individual to join our world-class team and build data tools that can perceive and control the flow of electrical energy within homes and even entire countries. We’ve implemented systems to extract data from chips, custom sensors and massive cloud databases - and we need your help implementing data pipelines and algorithms to pick out the most important information! You will help build electrical energy infrastructure that enables a future with ubiquitous and plentiful renewable energy. If that doesn’t sound exciting enough, some of the work you’ll do may be similar to real-time audio streaming, video processing or video game development. We want to make it just as interactive and fun as that work while making progress toward a renewable energy future.
Some of the things that you might be involved in include:
- Architect and implement data infrastructure for analytics, data science and machine learning in cloud and edge platforms
- Work with hardware and software teams to establish diverse data pipelines that compare required performance to measured results, helping demonstrate regulatory compliance
- Link our products' unique high-rate, high-resolution data with data from national and global climate, energy, and financial data streams to create an unprecedented perception of the flow of electrical energy
- Create robust processes for enforcing the quality, security, governance, and availability of data
- Extend our processes and documentation systems for robust software development to data engineering. Help host code and process documentation alongside data visualisation.
- Set up and maintain software test frameworks including continuous integration systems and data QC.
- Reviewing code written by Basis peers to ensure quality, collaboration and conformance
We think you’ll be a fit for this role if possess the following skills or experience:
- 5+ years of experience in a data engineering role building end-to-end ETL pipelines, datasets, and working with data warehouses, data lakes and the associated infrastructure
- Experience building, maintaining and improving data batch and streaming data pipelines. Proficiency with streaming protocols such as MQTT or ZMQ a plus.
- Experience creating, managing and processing logs, especially with Fluentd
- Experience with databases (both SQL and NoSQL) and data storage solutions optimised for high-speed time series data.
- Experience implementing DevOps best practices within the data platform, including solutions for CI/CD, data observability, monitoring, and lineage
- An understanding of the wider system beyond software, and an ability to articulate the impact of systems decisions on software and vice versa
- Comfort in working with uncertainty, using your initiative, and doing what it takes to solve problems. Experience or passion for working in a start-up environment
- A team player who is effective at working within a cross-disciplinary team, contributing to overall product creation
Some nice to haves include:
- Strong demonstrated interest in one or more of the following: signal processing, data science, audio/video processing, video game development.
- Deep knowledge of cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure) and services (e.g., EC2, Lambda, BigQuery, S3).
- Has worked with custom electronics or real-time sensor data
- Experience with tools such as Petastorm, Amundsen, Great Expectations and Hugging Face Datasets & Model Hub
- Familiarity with machine learning frameworks such as PyTorch or TensorFlow
- Experience with embedded Linux
Research shows that while men apply for jobs when they meet ~ 60% of the job criteria, women and other marginalised groups tend to apply only when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but are not sure you check every box, we still want to hear from you 🙌
- A competitive salary and employee share scheme (ESOP)
- A remote-first culture - work from home or come into the office, it's totally up to you
- Unlimited annual leave so that you can take the time that you need to re-energise
- Tools of trade, including laptop and headphones, and we also pay your phone bill!
- Flexible hours - we focus on effort and outcomes, so adjust your hours around your children, hobbies, or other commitments
- A schedule of fun team events throughout the year (ziplining, knife throwing, lawn games, what's next?)
- Office dogs
- Access to Clearhead, our well-being programme which gives you 5x free sessions with a psychologist per year
- A $200 one-off payment towards your home work station
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion: Pride Committee, DEIB Committee, EEO Policy and well-being strategy!
- The opportunity to learn and develop from some of the best and brightest minds in the industry!