Internship - Data Engineering
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a real difference in your next role?
At Basis, our purpose is to radically accelerate the clean-energy revolution - starting with smarter, safer, and more efficient homes. We’re focused on improving experiences for people through the application of technology, data, and a deep understanding of human behaviour.
Why? As a society, we need to decarbonise and accelerate the transition to alternative energy sources. Existing solutions are expensive and disparate, with limited functionality.
Basis is driven by purpose, real innovation, and ambition. We have a talented team spread across New Zealand, with a creative space by the beach in Takapuna, and a Design Lab in Christchurch where our physical products come to life.
We're also currently in stealth mode, so check out our website and we'll share more with you during the recruitment process 😁
We are on the lookout for a creative individual to join our world-class team and build data tools that can perceive and control the flow of electrical energy within homes and even entire countries. We’ve implemented systems to extract data from chips, custom sensors and massive cloud databases - and we need your help implementing data pipelines and algorithms to pick out the most important information! You will help build electrical energy infrastructure that enables a future with ubiquitous and plentiful renewable energy. If that doesn’t sound exciting enough, some of the work you’ll do may be similar to real-time audio or video processing or physics engine development for a video game!
Some of the things that you might be involved in include:
- Visualise and control data from devices that manage the power for an entire home
- Design and implement algorithms for picking important signals out of data
- Collect datasets for training and optimising machine learning algorithms
- Collaborate in the development of signal processing and machine learning algorithms.
You won’t just be working in a team of software and data engineers - you will have the opportunity to collaborate with people who build high-performance custom hardware: engineering prototypes, lab test jigs, and cutting-edge consumer products. Better yet, you’ll be part of the team that brings all their hard work together and collaborates with app designers and developers. While you’re at it, we’ll encourage you to contribute your ideas to what you think the product should do, and how your work could help market it!
Please note: this is an internship intended to support students who are enrolled in a NZ tertiary institute with gaining experience that contributes towards their practical experience requirements for their degree. The internship will run from November 2023 - February 2024.
We think you’ll be a fit for this role if you are/have:
- Currently undertaking a qualification and majoring in/have a strong interest in data engineering
- An ability to write software in one or more of the following: C, C++, C#, Rust, Golang, Python or Matlab
- An understanding of the wider system beyond software, and an ability to articulate the impact of systems decisions on software and vice versa
- Strong mathematics skills, and experience with data science frameworks within the Python Pandas preferred
Some nice to haves include:
- Experience working with Databases
- Familiarity with machine learning frameworks such as PyTorch or TensorFlow
- Familiarity with publish/subscribe frameworks such as ZMQ or ROS/ROS2
- Experience with Docker, virtual machines, and logging applications such as Fluentd
- Experience with Embedded Linux
Research shows that while men apply for jobs when they meet ~ 60% of the job criteria, women and other marginalised groups tend to apply only when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but are not sure you check every box, we still want to hear from you 🙌
- A remote-first culture - work from home or come into the office, it's totally up to you
- Laptop provided for your internship
- Flexible hours - we focus on effort and outcomes, so adjust your hours around your children, hobbies, or other commitments
- Opportunity to attend office events during your internship
- Two-week break at Christmas for you to rest and recharge
- Office dogs
- A chance to work with some of the brightest, most exceptional engineers in NZ!