Commercial Lawyer - Auckland
At Auror, we’re empowering the retail industry to tackle theft and Organised Retail Crime, a $150 Billion problem globally. It’s high volume crime that’s increasingly organised in nature and is putting people, retailers, and communities at risk every day.
Founded in New Zealand 11 years ago, we’re working with some of the best and largest retailers in the world across the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK.
Auror is connecting people and intelligence to reduce crime. We’re using technology for good.
In partnership with our leading retail partners, we need people with the passion, determination, and innovation required to overcome one of the world's largest problems. If you’re looking to make a difference with and for the people dedicated to stopping crime, for good, then we want you on our team.
We're looking for someone to join the Auror team as a Commercial Lawyer who is excited to thrive at the intersection of law, technology, and innovation. We work with some of the largest retailers across the world as well as partner with law enforcement agencies to improve outcomes within businesses and in our communities. You will work closely with our Chief Customer Officer and Global Commercial Director as well as collaborating with key stakeholders across the business.
This is a role that has a lot of variety and in any given day you’ll be focusing on the following:
- Contracting, and Commercial Negotiation (70%)
- Provide legal counsel and strategic guidance on technology-related legal issues, such as data privacy, software licensing and other technical projects
- Helping with drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts
- Collaborating closely with cross-functional teams to understand business objectives and provide legal guidance
- Proactively manage the contract lifecycle
- Identify, assess and manage legal risks, e.g. ensuring relevant NDAs are in place
- Educating external privacy/legal teams on privacy matters related to use of Auror
- Privacy (20%)
- Further entrench and expand Auror’s Privacy-by-Design ethos for our products and across the company.
- Understanding privacy legislation and best practice across the world, including in our target markets of NZ, Australia, US, Canada, and UK.
- Undertaking customer privacy questionnaires.
- Researching and understanding new laws and the use of new technologies.
- Police and Law Enforcement (10%)
- Understanding and advising on police requirements across jurisdictions, including sharing information between the community and law enforcement, and relevant legislation and governance of law enforcement powers.
- Engaging with freedom of information and official information requests.
This role reports to Lily Carne, Global Commercial Director
I’m still pinching myself that I can contribute to a company that solves a serious problem to improve outcomes for retailers and police globally as well as keep our communities safe. I am motivated by impact, and with a background in Law, Legal Tech and Management Consulting I am incredibly passionate about business growth and transformation, especially at the intersection between technology and commercial strategy. As the Global Commercial Director at Auror, my goal is to enable customer, sales and revenue growth across the US, UK, Australia and NZ. I love the variety that comes with a high-growth company and I thrive in collaborative environments where I can work alongside passionate, creative, and driven teammates to solve meaningful problems to change people’s lives for the better. Outside of work, you’ll either find me at a dog park with my family’s border collie, taking the opportunity to escape into a good book, or spending quality time with my friends and family (red wine in hand)! Check out my LinkedIn here.