Strategy and Operations Lead - Auckland
At Auror, we’re empowering the retail industry to tackle theft and Organised Retail Crime, a $150 Billion problem globally. It’s high volume crime that’s increasingly organised in nature and is putting people, retailers, and communities at risk every day.
Founded in New Zealand 11 years ago, we’re working with some of the best and largest retailers in the world across the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. Auror is connecting people and intelligence to reduce crime. We’re using technology for good.
In partnership with our leading retail partners, we need people with the passion, determination, and innovation required to overcome one of the world's largest problems. If you’re looking to make a difference with and for the people dedicated to stopping crime, for good, then we want you on our team.
This is an exciting role that blends innovation, collaboration, and strategy in a company that is leading the way in reducing crime around the world. We’re looking for a talented generalist and empathetic collaborator who has the ability to unite and inspire diverse internal and external stakeholders, extract insights from data, solve the most meaningful problems, and help craft visionary strategies to shape the future of Auror. It is important that the person in this role has an understanding of Software Development and Product Management principles and is able to collaborate effectively with Product & Engineering teams.
As a Strategy and Operations Lead, your role will be varied and could include working in the following areas:
- Strategic Planning: Support the continuous development and implementation of Auror’s strategic plan. This includes conducting in-depth market research, analysing industry trends, and identifying growth opportunities to stay ahead in a competitive landscape and enable rapid and effective decision-making across Auror.
- Stakeholder Management: Build and maintain influential relationships with key stakeholders, including customers, and partners, to support Auror’s strategic objectives. Champion a customer-centric approach by empathising with end users and translating their needs into actionable product requirements.
- Journey Mapping & Design Thinking: Lead journey mapping exercises to comprehensively understand user experiences and identify pain points, opportunities, and areas for improvement. Apply design thinking principles to envision innovative solutions and strategies, ensuring a user-centric approach throughout the product development lifecycle.
- General Problem Solving: Tackle complex challenges head-on, utilizing your innate problem-solving abilities and an adaptable mindset to navigate ambiguity and drive effective solutions.
- Data Analytics & Insights: Determining the right data to gather and interpret. Conduct comprehensive data analysis, transforming raw information into insightful visuals and narratives to guide decision-making. Present findings and insights in a compelling manner, tailoring communication to various stakeholders' levels of understanding.
- Workshops & Facilitation: Organise and facilitate workshops that encourage collaboration and creativity among cross-functional teams, driving ideation and problem-solving efforts.
- Supporting Product Development: Leverage your comprehensive understanding of software development and product management to support product ideation and development. Collaborate closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and other teams to ensure alignment on product goals and execution.
- Financial Modeling: Utilise financial modelling to assess the viability and potential impact of initiatives, contributing to the development of strategic plans and roadmaps.
- Project & Change Management: Lead and support operational projects from inception to execution, ensuring timelines, investment, and quality standards are met. Collaborate with teams to define project scope, objectives, and deliverables. Where appropriate play a key role in supporting change management and continuous improvement using effective communication, stakeholder engagement and training.
You’ll be reporting to Tom Batterbury, Chief Strategy Officer
We’re now over 10 years into the journey with Auror and still feel like we’re just scratching the surface of what’s possible when it comes to powering how communities reduce crime. I love the collaborative environment we have created at Auror, working with amazing people to help our customers and communities solve tough and important problems. I anchor my impact around how we build a company where people are empowered to do their best work consistently, developing a remarkable and disruptive product that genuinely delivers unrivalled to our customers. I’m looking forward to building a team to take this all up a few gears. Outside of work, I love going on adventures with my wife and two kids who I adore, bike riding on trails, hiking in nature, and attempting to play golf. You can find me on LinkedIn here.
- Strong general business skills and acumen - ideally at least 5 years experience in strategy, operations, management consulting, and/or related roles within the tech/start-up industry.
- Proven track record of leading and implementing strategic initiatives that have driven measurable business results.
- A data-driven thinker and strong analytical skills, with the ability to interpret data, and provide actionable insights
- Comfortable facilitating workshops whether it be to steer a group to a desired outcome or ideation sessions that spark creativity and drive innovation.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, allowing you to influence and collaborate with stakeholders at all levels, from all walks of life.
We are looking for people who demonstrate a strong alignment to our Guiding Principles (you can find these on our Careers page).
With diversity and inclusion at the forefront of Auror’s guiding principles, we promote a culture that celebrates diversity and inclusiveness at Auror, regardless of, but not limited to, race, gender, sexual orientation, family status, religion, ethnicity, national origin, physical disability, veteran status, or age.
What are the benefits like?
- Competitive Salary Range: Depending on level of experience of $140,000-$170,000NZD
- Employee share scheme: You’ll own part of a company making a real difference!
- Flexibility: We are hard-working and outcome-focused, but recognise there is more to life than work. We promote a healthy work/life blend.
- Shorter work weeks (at full pay): Everyone gets Friday afternoons off, so you can start your weekend early, and do more of whatever it is that makes you happy.
- Focus on mental and physical health: We understand how vital our health is and have policies to support your wellness, including: Wellness Days, and up to three expert sessions paid for every year.
- Family-friendly: We offer comprehensive parental leave and benefits for primary and non-primary caregivers, including a baby bonus and meals delivered to your door.
- Personal growth: We support our team to participate in courses, conferences, or events that will help them develop their skills.
- Team love: We have regular team lunches and social events where most (if not all) activities are during work hours.
What are the next steps?
If you’re excited about our mission and you have experience and a passion for this role, please hit “Apply” below. We’re proud that Auror is a place where everyone can learn and grow. So if you’re not sure that you tick all the boxes but feel you’re close to what we’re looking for, please apply anyway as we’d love to hear from you!
Once you apply, you’ll hear from us to acknowledge your application. If you have questions about any of the above, or if you have any accessibility requirements, we’ll be able to help you from there.